Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Experimentation in Black & White.

In class, our first assignment was to create a piece that involved experimenting with the shape tools and black and white shading. The first step was to get our hands on creating basic shapes like squares, rectangles, circles, and even free-hand work. With mine, I chose to do a combination of quadrilaterals and free hand "splat-like" shapes. Some of the splats and squares represent the negative space, because most of the shading in this piece is of black or grey gradient. 


Within some of the squares, I wanted to gradually reduce the intensity of the shading by making it lighter, kind of like a tunnel. This was a kind of depth of feel.

I also chose to do some of my empty space not completely blank, but more translucent. Kind of like blending with paint, I did the same with my splats and squares.


I know that this can seem a little overwhelming and chaotic, but I think it gives good examples of different transparency, gradient, shading, and shape techniques. 


Comment and enjoy my so far mediocre work!

1 comment:

  1. Im trying to figure out how this was created since I used In Design as well. I guess you just really spent a lot of time doing it. I like the mix of the different colors and how you laid them. Good job. -Jasmine LaFlora

    ReplyDelete